This is one of the most simple meals that I make I put it all the ingredients in the crockpot and later I have a very simple yet filling meal for my family.I use pink beans but you could use whatever you want. I serve mine with rice and a bit of cheese on top. Enjoy! *Update* I realized after two people reviewed my recipe and after I went to my local butcher that the ham hocks I get are rather large (I'm going to guess about as big as a medium eggplant if not larger). Which is why my recipe only lists one. You may want to change that to 2 or more depending on the actual size of your ham hocks.
- In crockpot add cleaned beans, onions, garlic and ham hock.
- Cover with water or chicken stock and cook on medium for 6 hours.
- At about the half way point the meat should come off the ham hock, if not let it cook a little longer until you can. Remove the ham hock from beans and let cool.
- Remove the layer of fat from the ham hock and shred the meat into bite size pieces and return to the crockpot.
- When beans are done add salt and pepper to taste and skim as much fat off the beans as possible.