1/3 Photos of Best Fried Green Tomatoes on the Planet!!!
After trying Fried Green Tomatoes in several restaurants I finally broke down & threw this together to see if I could do better & voila! Best I've ever had so do try this & be sure to get ripe green tomatoes (or striped heirlooms) from your local farmer's market. That's the only way to enjoy them. Some places will cheat & use regualr tomatoes that aren't ripe (so they're still green) and the flavor is just awful. You really have to have ripe green ones to do it justice... My favorite is Giant German Green & I used to grow them at home but the squirrels & rabbits have done my garden in so I have to make the trip to Tom's Farms. Well worth it! Hope you enjoy! Oh, hey, if you like add a few drops hot sauce to the egg, try without first. If you have any bacon fat the flavor is worth it to add a bit of that to butter & oil.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a quart storage bag mix bread crumbs, cheese, salt & pepper.
- 2Beat eggs or mix 'em all up in a bag of their own until well blended.
- 3Slice tomatoes about 1/2" thick & place in egg, remove & place in bread crumb mixture individually and shake until well coated.
- 4Heat butter & oil over medium, fry tomatoes until lightly browned & just crispy, about 3 minutes per side - don't burn!
- 5Devour. I promise these will not disappoint!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best Fried Green Tomatoes on the Planet!!!
Serving Size: 1 (417 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 731.0
- Calories from Fat 431
- Total Fat 47.9 g
- Saturated Fat 20.7 g
- Cholesterol 254.8 mg
- Sodium 3275.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 13.6 g
- Protein 22.1 g