Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From the taste of charleston (SC) this recipe is served at Boone Hall Plantation's Serena's Kitchen. The source states that instead of salt and pepper you can use Salad Supreme (whatever that is)
- 6 large green tomatoes
- 1 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup flour (all purpose)
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- garlic salt
- black pepper
- cayenne pepper
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 dash salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dill weed (dried or fresh)
- 1⁄2 cup dukes mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- make sauce first by whisking sour cream with the mayonnaise until smooth add remaining ingredients and mix well.chill while tomatoes are cooking.
- slice tomatoes fairly thin but not too thin.
- combine bread crumbs, cheese, flour, cornmeal and spices in a bowl big enough to dredge the tomatoes.
- make egg wash in a separate bowl with out the flour.
- place the 1 cup of flour in another bowl.
- dip each tomato slice in the flour to dust it, shake off excess.
- dip into egg wash making sure each side is wet and let drain a second or two.
- dip into bread crumb mixture and coat both sides.
- fry in oil at 350° until golden brown on both sides- about 2-4 minutes.
- turn them occasionally for even browning. drain on paper towels.
- serve with sour cream dill sauce.