Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I found this recipe in honor of two of my okra lovin' friends-enjoy!
Make and share this Bubba Gump's Greenbow County Okra Gumbo recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb fresh okra, sliced
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 bunch green onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 quarts water
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb unpeeled medium-size fresh shrimp
- 1⁄2 lb fresh crabmeat, drained and flaked
- hot cooked rice
- gumbo file (optional)
- Cook okra in 2 Tbsp butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until lightly browned.
- Set aside.
- Combine remaining butter and flour in a large dutch oven, cook over medium high, stirring constantly until roux is chocolate colored-around 20-25 min (I say have a beer while doing this) Stir in green onions, celery and garlic, cook stirring constantly until veg is tender.
- Add okra, water and the next 6 ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, reduce and simmer uncovered 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Peel and devein shrimp, add that and crab to okra mixture.
- Simmer an additional 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Serve gumbo over rice.
- Sprinkle with file if desired.