Nita Holleman's Note:
A very good dish based on one my husband's mother, Mildred Holleman -- Ma Hannah --used to make. When I read the recipe in her recipe file after her death, I did NOT think it would be good because of the EGGS! OH, BUT IT IS! Try it, you will like it. A great comfort food dish! Nita Holleman, 2002
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 head cabbage, shredded, rinsed with cold water and drained in a colander
- 1 vidalia onions or 1 sweet white onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups saltine crackers or 2 cups Ritz crackers or 2 cups ritz cheese crackers, crumbled fine
- 4 large fresh eggs, beaten
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup
- 2 -3 tablespoons half-and-half or 2 -3 tablespoons cream
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 -3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup good quality mayonnaise
- 8 ounces kraft sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1Saute onion in butter about 2 minutes.
- 2Add cabbage.
- 3Stir in well.
- 4Cover tightly and allow cabbage to steam for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- 5Do NOT add water.
- 6Combine cabbage and rest of ingredients except cheese, mixing together well.
- 7Place in a large lightly buttered casserole dish.
- 8Bake at 360 degrees F.
- 9for 40 minutes or till lightly browned.
- 10Top with the grated cheese if desired during about the last 5 minutes.
Browse Our Top Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cabbage Casserole Ala Nita
Serving Size: 1 (353 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 672.0
- Calories from Fat 388
- Total Fat 43.1 g
- Saturated Fat 19.8 g
- Cholesterol 233.4 mg
- Sodium 1870.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 14.3 g
- Protein 23.4 g