Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 15 mins
This soup is SO good on a cold, wintry evening with a good, crusty bread or cornbread! Servings are approximate, depending on your appetite. This is wonderful to take to work for a hot lunch. You can also make this low salt by using reduced-salt canned goods.
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef or 1⁄2 lb ground turkey
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, italian style
- 6 cups green cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) canslight kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Emeril's Original Essence
- In Dutch oven, brown ground meat with chopped pepper, onions, and celery; drain off fat.
- Add all 4 cans of beef broth, bring to a slow boil and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the can of Italian style tomatoes and cabbage; bring to a slow boil and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add beans, salt, pepper, onion salt, dry mustard, Italian seasoning, and Emeril's Essence.
- Simmer another 20 to 30 minutes; taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.