Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
My DH and I were at a friend's house several years ago and this was a dish she made. My DH loves this during cold weather as it is a real comfort food with some french bread.
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 small chopped bell pepper
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup of uncooked long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- white pepper
- black pepper
- cayenne pepper
- 4 -6 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1 small chopped cabbage
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- Brown meat and add pepper, onion, garlic and drain if necessary.
- Stir in Rotel and tomato sauce and rice and all the seasonings.
- Spread in 13 x 9 x 2" pan. Top with chopped cabbage.
- Cover with cheese. Cover with foil and bake at 350°F for 65 to 75 minutes or until rice is tender.
This was made on 6/06/09 for the " Hot, Spicy, and Tasty " event. Since it was just myself and SO, the recipe was cut in half.Since SO doesn't like peppers ,and I don't like hot sauce those were left out.For the white, black and cayenne peppers, 1/4 teaspoom each was used. But next time I think I'll only use about 1/8 each. I do agree with PanNan about the tomato sauce, the full 8 ounce can of tomato sauce will be used for a more " saucy " dish. It was a very good, " Hot, Spicy, and Tasty " dish ;) . Thanks for posting and, " Keep Smiling :) "
I made this recipe for Pick A Chef, Spring 2009. It's a very tasty casserole that the family enjoyed very much. It didn't take long to put together before popping it in the oven. We loved the spicy, beefy flavor, and the cabbage didn't completely disintegrate - there was still some nice texture to it. The only thing I will do different next time is to add another 8 oz of tomato sauce to make it more moist/saucy.