1/3 Photos of Cajun Smothered Pork Chops
1 hr 15 mins
Here in South Louisiana, we "smother" just about everything. No, we don't put a blanket or something over our food to "smother" it! We just keep the cover of the pot almost all the way on. It's best cooked in a heavy, seasoned cast iron dutch oven, which is a must have, in my opinion. The meat is cooked in a natural gravy. I personally like my food on the spicy side. It's "fall off the bone" tender! So, put a pot of rice on! :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 bone in pork chops
- your favorite cajun seasoning
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup green onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1Heat olive oil in a 5 quart cast iron dutch oven on medium high.
- 2Season pork chops with Cajun seasoning.
- 3Place in skillet and brown well on both sides over medium - medium high heat.
- 4Remove from pan and set aside.
- 5Add onion, green and red bell peppers, and celery. Cook until onions are soft and transparent, stirring frequently as not to burn.
- 6Return pork chops to pot.
- 7Add just enough water to cover the meat. Add garlic and Worcestershire. Stir well.
- 8If your gravy isn't dark, add a tablespoon of kitchen bouquet and stir.
- 9Cover pot almost all of the way. Simmer until meat is tender.
- 10Uncover. Add mushroom and green onions and parsley.
- 11Adjust seasoning by tasting gravy. Simmer 5 minutes longer.
- 12Serve over hot cooked rice.
- 13C'est Si Bon, Cher!
Browse Our Top Cajun Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cajun Smothered Pork Chops
Serving Size: 1 (314 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 434.8
- Calories from Fat 224
- Total Fat 24.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 137.3 mg
- Sodium 177.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 43.3 g