Who better than Paul Prudhomme to rely on when in need of a good red beans and rice recipe? We consider Chef Paul the Papa of Cajun cooking. He's simply the best! The beans need to soak overnight the day before cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb dried red kidney beans
- water, to cover the beans
- 3 1/2 lbs ham hocks
- 16 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups celery, finely chopped
- 2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 2 cups green bell peppers, finely chopped
- 5 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 lb andouille sausage, cut diagonally into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1Cover the beans with water 2" above beans.
- 2Let stand overnight.
- 3Drain just before using.
- 4Place the ham hocks, 10 cups of the water, celery, onions, bell peppers, bay leaves, and seasonings in a 5.5 qt saucepan or large Dutch oven; stir well.
- 5Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
- 6Reduce heat and simmer until meat is fork tender, about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- 7Remove ham hocks from pan and set aside.
- 8Add the drained beans and 4 cups of the water to the pan; bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasinally.Add the remaining 2 cups of water and simmer 30 minutes, stirring often.
- 9Stire in the Andouille and continue simmering until the beans start breaking up, about 35 minutes, scraping the bottom of the pan fairly often.
- 10*If the beans start to scorch, do not stir. Immediately remove from heat and change to another pot without scraping any of the scorched beans into the new mixture.
- 11Add the ham hocks and cook and stir 10 minutes more.
- 12Serve immediately over hot, white rice.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chef Paul's Red Bean S and Rice With Ham Hocks
Serving Size: 1 (1199 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 561.5
- Calories from Fat 196
- Total Fat 21.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 43.1 mg
- Sodium 994.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.6 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 33.1 g