A rich, red Hungarian-style stew. Serve with pasta or potatoes. I use a mix of gizzards and hearts, or I substitute the organ meat for chicken pieces, cubed beef or pork.
- Fry onion in oil or butter till light yellow.
- Reduce heat and rapidly stir in paprika.
- Add meat, cut into desirable pieces, salt and brown.
- Add garlic, crushed or chopped.
- Add only enough water to braise, not boil.
- Cover and simmer until tender. Add water if evaporates and stir occasionally.
- When meat softens, add green pepper, tomato and a bit more water or stock.
- While simmering a few more minutes, blend flour and sour cream together.
- Add to stew, stirring, till thickened.
- I have omitted the thickening step for more of a soup result.