4 hrs 15 mins
Curt's mom, Ann, used to beg me to make these for her. She put my recipe in her church's cook-book and named it Chicken Gizzards a la Dena. She said they were so good they needed a fancy name. We had many laughs over this. This is for you, Ann. We miss you! The ingredients don't have to be exact; just use them as a guideline. Hope you enjoy! Dena
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Clean and rinse gizzards, being sure to trim off any green material.
- 2Mix flour, salt and pepper together in a small bag; add gizzards and shake well to coat.
- 3Heat oil in a large electric skillet to medium high heat. Fry coated gizzards in oil until brown & crispy. Pour off any excess oil.
- 4Add onion and enough water to almost cover gizzards. Stir to get bits on the bottom of skillet incorporated into water. Cover and cook on slow simmer for 3 to 4 hours or until gizzards are very tender.
- 5Stir every so often. Add water if necessary; you want a gravy-like consistency when it is done.
- 6When gizzards are "fork tender", add can of soup gradually. Stir in with fork. If using mushrooms, add now. Replace cover and simmer another 10 minutes.
- 7Serve over rice or noodles.
- 8*I sometimes double the gizzards so I add both the can of mushroom soup and a can of celery soups.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Gizzards Al a Dena
Serving Size: 1 (155 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 207.1
- Calories from Fat 17
- Total Fat 1.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 185.0 mg
- Sodium 1776.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 20.7 g