1 hr 30 mins
Leslie in Texas's Note:
A traditional Creole sidedish that elevates cabbage to new heights! Originally from an October 1980 Bon Apetit magazine from a section called "Creole Cooking at the Source".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large head of cabbage, cut into quarters and cored (or 2 small heads)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1/2 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 slices bread, toasted
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Parboil cabbage until tender;drain well and slice into small pieces.
- 2Melt butter in large saucepan or skillet over medium heat.
- 3Add oil,celery,onion,green pepper and green onions and saute until limp.
- 4Add cabbage and mix well.
- 5Cover and cook over very low heat about 10 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- 6Stir in all but about 1/4 cup cheese and mix well;let cook a few more minutes.
- 7Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 8Soak toast in milk until soft;squeeze out milk and add toast to cabbage mixture.
- 9Blend in cream, half of breadcrumbs,garlic and parsley.
- 10Remove from heat and mix well; season with salt and pepper.
- 11Turn into shallow 3-quart casserole.
- 12Combine remaining breadcrumbs and cheese and sprinkle over top.
- 13Bake uncovered about 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Creole Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Creole Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chou Glorieux (Glorious Cabbage)
Serving Size: 1 (250 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 408.6
- Calories from Fat 260
- Total Fat 28.9 g
- Saturated Fat 16.9 g
- Cholesterol 85.8 mg
- Sodium 357.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 12.6 g