Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A Southern traditional dish served on New Year's Day, greens for prosperity and black-eyed peas for luck created for Oprah Winfrey by Art Smith
- 1 -2 lb chicken wings (10 pieces)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cans black-eyed peas
- 3 sausages, cut into bite size (your preference)
- 2 pieces bacon, chopped
- 6 cups collard greens, chopped
- hot sauce
- Add chicken wings and stock, chopped onions, garlic and spices to soup pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, add tomatoes (crushed with your hands), salt and pepper and simmer until wings are tender.
- Add potatoes, black-eyed peas, sausage, bacon and greens, simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken wings and allow to cool.
- Separate chicken meat from bones and return meat to soup.
- Season with hot sauce (optional) Serve with cornbread.
A phenomenal soup!!!! I made a few changes, but still ended up with an incredibly tasty meal. Instead of chicken wings, I used two split chicken breast halves (with skin and bones). For the sausage, I used regular Italian sausage and for the collards, I used some curly kale that I had in the refrigerator. This was a huge hit with friends and family and will definitely be made again! Thanks for sharing this keeper!
This soup was fantastic! We ate it for New Year's Day with cornbread. Super easy too. Highly recommended.
I found this recipe a couple of years ago and absolutely love it! everyone who has tried it loves it including my picky daughter. I never make it with the potatoes since I serve it with cornbread (too many carbs) and I use dried beans and stick it in the crock pot for a couple of hours. the chicken comes off the bones so easy and the beans are done too. Thanks for a great dish!