1 hr 10 mins
Ugly Yellow's Note:
A Southern traditional dish served on New Year's Day, greens for prosperity and black-eyed peas for luck created for Oprah Winfrey by Art Smith
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -2 lb chicken wings (10 pieces)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups canned stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cans black-eyed peas
- 3 sausages, cut into bite size (your preference)
- 2 pieces bacon, chopped
- 6 cups collard greens, chopped
- hot sauce
- 1Add chicken wings and stock, chopped onions, garlic and spices to soup pot and bring to a boil.
- 2Reduce heat, add tomatoes (crushed with your hands), salt and pepper and simmer until wings are tender.
- 3Add potatoes, black-eyed peas, sausage, bacon and greens, simmer 30 minutes.
- 4Remove chicken wings and allow to cool.
- 5Separate chicken meat from bones and return meat to soup.
- 6Season with hot sauce (optional) Serve with cornbread.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Collard Green and Black-Eyed Pea Soup
Serving Size: 1 (528 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 578.4
- Calories from Fat 265
- Total Fat 29.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 100.8 mg
- Sodium 805.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.6 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 33.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: