I can eat all of these in a single sitting when I'm really craving collards!
Make and share this Collard Greens a la Carol recipe from Food.com.
- Fill large bowl with cold tap water.
- Soak collard greens in water, take out, and then rinse.
- Do this several times until no dirt is at bottom of bowl after washing.
- Rip thick stem from center of greens (its OK if a little thin stem is left).
- I usually accomplish this by folding green in half with stem sticking straight up, and ripping down and towards me.
- Chop onions and fry over medium heat in a deep frying pan for a few minutes.
- In the meantime, chop or tear collard greens into pieces and its okay.
- if they're big pieces, as they will shrink.
- Add greens to onions, and then add chopped garlic (as desired) and salt (and pepper if desired) on top of them.
- Cover and reduce heat to low.
- Let steam a few minutes.
- Check frequently and stir.
- The key to good collard greens is to not undercook them!!!
- Stir frequently and cover between stirrings.