4 hrs 30 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
I got this recipe off of a soul food site called Chitterlings. I made this Friday night and these are the best collard greens I've ever eaten. I served with a big skillet of cornbread. Prep time is lengthy due to the cleaning and cutting of the greens. Cook time approximate. This makes a lot of greens!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Add the bacon fat to a large stock pot.
- 2If you don't save your bacon fat, fry up a few slices of bacon in the pot you are going to cook your greens in; leave the bacon and fat.
- 3Add your ham hocks to the pot, cover with water, onion and spices.
- 4Boil for about an hour.
- 5Add cleaned and cut collards to the pot, cover and cook until tender (45 minutes to an hour, less if you like them less cooked).
- 6Add the cabbage at the very end and cook until wilted or to your desired taste.
- 7Remove bones and fat of the ham hocks.
Browse Our Top Collard Greens Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Collard Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Collard Greens and Cabbage
Serving Size: 1 (274 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 86.3
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 53.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.8 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 6.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: