4 hrs 30 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
I got this recipe off of a soul food site called Chitterlings. I made this Friday night and these are the best collard greens I've ever eaten. I served with a big skillet of cornbread. Prep time is lengthy due to the cleaning and cutting of the greens. Cook time approximate. This makes a lot of greens!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Add the bacon fat to a large stock pot.
- 2If you don't save your bacon fat, fry up a few slices of bacon in the pot you are going to cook your greens in; leave the bacon and fat.
- 3Add your ham hocks to the pot, cover with water, onion and spices.
- 4Boil for about an hour.
- 5Add cleaned and cut collards to the pot, cover and cook until tender (45 minutes to an hour, less if you like them less cooked).
- 6Add the cabbage at the very end and cook until wilted or to your desired taste.
- 7Remove bones and fat of the ham hocks.
Browse Our Top Collard Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Collard Greens and Cabbage
Serving Size: 1 (274 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 86.3
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 53.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.8 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 6.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: