Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep2 hrs 30 mins
I got this recipe off of a soul food site called Chitterlings. I made this Friday night and these are the best collard greens I've ever eaten. I served with a big skillet of cornbread. Prep time is lengthy due to the cleaning and cutting of the greens. Cook time approximate. This makes a lot of greens!
- Add the bacon fat to a large stock pot.
- If you don't save your bacon fat, fry up a few slices of bacon in the pot you are going to cook your greens in; leave the bacon and fat.
- Add your ham hocks to the pot, cover with water, onion and spices.
- Boil for about an hour.
- Add cleaned and cut collards to the pot, cover and cook until tender (45 minutes to an hour, less if you like them less cooked).
- Add the cabbage at the very end and cook until wilted or to your desired taste.
- Remove bones and fat of the ham hocks.
Yummm is all I can see.....We froze the leftovers! It was just that good! Great with sweet cornbread! Yummmm! Didn't have to make any modifications
Great recipe. I used a smoked turkey leg instead. My family loved it. I even went back a couple times to get more. Thank you.
I've made these three times already and my husband cleans the pot each time! Thanks for making a beginner seem like a pro!