Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Vegetable side dish. I love slow-cooked collards as much as the next person, but I was raised on these. My mom worked, so this was the easiest way for her to cook them during the week.
- Cook bacon in heavy skillet until crisp (use medium heat). (Sometimes the bacon will stick together; you must break it up).
- Add butter, cook until melted.
- Add veggies, stir.
- Add your seasonings.
- Add frozen greens - no water is necessary; the ice on the greens will melt into water. Cover pot with lid. In about ten minutes, the greens should be soft.
- Then stir them, mixing them up with the onions, peppers and bacon. Cover again, stirring periodically for approximately 20 minutes, or until greens are dark and soft.
- Serve hot.
- If you like fresh greens, that's fine. Just make sure to add a 1/4 cup of water right after you add the peppers and onions.