Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Fresh, nutritious, loaded with flavor and vitamins.
Make and share this Collard Greens With Smoked Turkey recipe from Food.com.
- 10 smoked turkey butts
- 6 lbs fresh collard greens
- Rinse turkey butts and boil for 2 hours in 2 quarts of water. Keep adding water as it boils off so that it is always 2 quarts.
- Clean collard greens and remove the stems. Tear into small pieces. Put into seperate pot. It may look like a lot of greens, but they shrink when cooked.
- Remove turkey butts and set aside to cool.
- Pour the hot turkey broth over the greens.(don't burn yourself!).
- Pick the meat off of the butts and discard fat and skin.
- Add turkey meat to the simmering collards.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 1 hour, or until greens are tender.
- When serving, use a large spoon with holes. When you're finished with the greens the remaining broth makes a great base for soup (pot licker soup). Just add egg noodles and enjoy the flavor and the vitamins.