2 hrs 30 mins
Fresh, nutritious, loaded with flavor and vitamins.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 smoked turkey butts
- 6 lbs fresh collard greens
- 1Rinse turkey butts and boil for 2 hours in 2 quarts of water. Keep adding water as it boils off so that it is always 2 quarts.
- 2Clean collard greens and remove the stems. Tear into small pieces. Put into seperate pot. It may look like a lot of greens, but they shrink when cooked.
- 3Remove turkey butts and set aside to cool.
- 4Pour the hot turkey broth over the greens.(don't burn yourself!).
- 5Pick the meat off of the butts and discard fat and skin.
- 6Add turkey meat to the simmering collards.
- 7Bring to boil and simmer for 1 hour, or until greens are tender.
- 8When serving, use a large spoon with holes. When you're finished with the greens the remaining broth makes a great base for soup (pot licker soup). Just add egg noodles and enjoy the flavor and the vitamins.
Browse Our Top Collard Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Collard Greens With Smoked Turkey
Serving Size: 1 (272 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 70.8
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 43.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 5.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
smoked turkey butts