1/2 Photos of Country Ham,fried Green Tomatoes W/ Cream Gravy
A real down home recipe and so simple. i can never find green tomatoes but use less ripe ones..serve with eggs on the side.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -6 tablespoons butter or 4 -6 tablespoons oil, for frying
- 4 slices country ham, about 1/2 inch thick
- 2 -3 green tomatoes, cored, sliced 1 1/2 inch thick, and soaked in milk
- all-purpose flour, seasoned with
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a heavy skillet and sauté the ham slices about 3 minutes on each side. Remove the ham to a heated platter and keep warm.
- 2Drain the tomatoes and dust them with the seasoned flour. Add more butter to the pan if necessary and fry the tomatoes 3 minutes on each side or until tender, sprinkling each side with a little sugar. Remove and drain on paper towels, then arrange on the platter with the ham.
- 3While the tomatoes are cooking, make the gravy:Pour off all but 3 tablespoons of the cooking fat. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in the milk. Stir constantly until thickened, about 4 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- 4Pour the gravy over the ham and tomatoes and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Country Ham,fried Green Tomatoes W/ Cream Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (239 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 231.9
- Calories from Fat 145
- Total Fat 16.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 47.6 mg
- Sodium 169.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 5.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: