Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 hrs
FAVORITE! My family enjoys this soup all year. A tomato based soup with chopped vegetables which seasons and give great flavor! A great recipe to forget and let cook while you work or shop. Enjoy with crusty bread or crackers.
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) tomato sauce
- 2 (14 ounce) tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, chopped
- salt and pepper
- In a skillet brown ground beef in vegetable oil. Drain well.
- Place chopped onion, carrots and celery in bottom of crock pot. Add garlic powder, brown sugar, worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce, tomatoes and cabbage.
- Add browned ground beef. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn crock pot on to low and cook 6 to 7 hours.
- Serve and enjoy!
Made this today, 5/14/14. That crap is nasty, way too sweet
I'm a little puzzled by this recipe. There's hardly enough liquid to call this soup. I'm in the process of cooking it; will be adding several cups of broth in order to make it a soup. Nice to have something like this on hand for a cool fall day though.
Made this on Friday, served over rice and it was so-so. Very bland. I have a huge Crock-Pot, so I doubled the recipe. It came out more like a casserole than a soup. Today I am "doctoring" the leftovers in my stock pot on the stove. I added a lot of beef broth, some seasonings and some potatoes in the hope that my family (husband and college-age son) will eat it as vegetable soup. (I cooked the rice separately and don't plan to put any in the soup.)