1/2 Photos of Crock Pot Collard Greens and Ham
6 hrs 25 mins
Sue Lau's Note:
An excellent choice as a side dish for fried catfish or pulled pork. Also goes well with cornbread to soak up the juices which are called "pot likker". When you eat this kind of food, you know you are living!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 4 -6 slices thick bacon (optional)
- 8 cups collard greens, tough ribs and stems removed, torn into thin strips (kale may also be used)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups water
- 1Note: be sure to rinse collards thoroughly before using.
- 2Remove any thick stems and tear or chop leaves into strips.
- 3Cook bacon in a skillet until the fat renders and bacon becomes translucent.
- 4Place bacon, with its drippings, into the bottom of the crock pot.
- 5Add the greens, ham hock, salt, pepper, and water into crock pot.
- 6Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours.
- 7Remove ham hock, discard skin and shred meat, returning meat to crock pot.
- 8Serve greens with minced onion, vinegar and Tabasco, if desired.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crock Pot Collard Greens and Ham
Serving Size: 1 (323 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 49.7
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 324.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 4.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
smoked ham hock