KL Tan's Note:
I live in Singapore and one of our most famous dishes is our Chicken Rice. Sometimes, gizzard is available as a sideorder. I have usually been disappointed with the flavour. This recipe is my own version, and a tasy way (my family agrees) to use often discarded chicken parts. Excellent as an appetizer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (200 g) package chicken gizzards (or any other poultry gizzards)
- 1 teaspoon shredded young ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, coarse chopped
- 1 tablespoon black vinegar or 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sweet soy sauce or 2 tablespoons ketjap manis (molasses-like consistency)
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder (see note below)
- 300 ml water
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil (canola)
- 1Clean gizzards thoroughly, cut off tough tendon bits.
- 2Dry marinate with a little pepper.
- 3In a small sauce pan, heat the cooking oil on medium heat.
- 4Add ginger and garlic, stir fry till fragrant.
- 5Throw in the gizzards and increase heat to hot, stir fry till the gizzards just chnge color.
- 6Add in the 300 ml water, the five spice powder, the sweet soy sauce, and vinegar.
- 7Mix well.
- 8Bring to a boil.
- 9Reduce heat to a simmer and cook till the sauce reduces to about a third.
- 10Taste, adjust if necessary.
- 11Check that gizzards are tender yet crunchy.
- 12Serve hot, warm or cold with gizzards skewered with toothpicks.
- 13Note You can make your own Chinese Five Spice Powder by blending the following ground spices: 1 2/3 tbsp star anise 1 1/2 tsp fennel seeds 1 1/2 tsp cassia (in the USA cinnamon denotes both cinnamon and cassia which is native to China, professional bakers prefer cassia to cinnamon.) 1/2 tsp Sichuan pepper or black pepper 1/4 tsp cloves Stir-fried vegetables are enhanced by sprinkling about 1 tsp over them during cooking.
- 14Add a little salt, and you have a very good marinade for chicken, duck, pork and seafood.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crunchy Braised Chicken Gizzard
Serving Size: 1 (361 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 161.2
- Calories from Fat 123
- Total Fat 13.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2021.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 4.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Chinese five spice powder