This dish is served at The Dillard House, a well-known Southern "family style" restaurant in the North Georgia Mountains. This recipe is found in their cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large head of cabbage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 3 cups basic white sauce
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 cups buttered bread crumbs
BASIC WHITE SAUCE
- 1Basic White Sauce-.
- 2Melt margarine in sauce pot.
- 3Add flour, salt, pepper and stir.
- 4Add milk and cook until thick, stirring constantly.
- 6Shred cabbage (with a large kitchen knife).
- 7Cook 5-8 minutes in boiling water with 1 tsp salt. Don't overcook. Cabbage should remain crisp.
- 8Drain well.
- 9Layer ingredients in a buttered 2 quart casserole dish in this order: half of cabbage, enough white sauce to cover, second half of cabbage, remaining sauce, cheese.
- 10Sprinkle with bread crumbs and bake at 300 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dillard House Cabbage Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (245 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 573.2
- Calories from Fat 377
- Total Fat 41.9 g
- Saturated Fat 15.2 g
- Cholesterol 53.3 mg
- Sodium 1206.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 17.8 g