Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This dish is served at The Dillard House, a well-known Southern "family style" restaurant in the North Georgia Mountains. This recipe is found in their cookbook.
- Basic White Sauce-.
- Melt margarine in sauce pot.
- Add flour, salt, pepper and stir.
- Add milk and cook until thick, stirring constantly.
- Shred cabbage (with a large kitchen knife).
- Cook 5-8 minutes in boiling water with 1 tsp salt. Don't overcook. Cabbage should remain crisp.
- Drain well.
- Layer ingredients in a buttered 2 quart casserole dish in this order: half of cabbage, enough white sauce to cover, second half of cabbage, remaining sauce, cheese.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs and bake at 300 degrees for 15-20 minutes.