Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I've had this recipe for a good 30 years. It is a good winter soup and very easy to make.
Make and share this Easy Cabbage and Bean Soup With Cajun Spices recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 lb Polish sausage, sliced
- 1 small cabbage, diced
- 2 onions, diced
- 3 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon cajun spices
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans
- In a dutch oven or other large soup pot put the oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add the sausage (Hillshire can also be used or whatever brand that you want) and stir-fry until lightly browned.
- Add the cabbage, onions, potatoes and carrots. Stir-fry for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add the bay leaf, cajun seasoning spices, garlic, salt (1-2 teaspoons depending on how salty you like it) and black pepper. If you don't like too much of a spicy taste, reduce the cajun spices. Stir to blend.
- Add the chicken broth and water, increase heat to high until the liquid is boiling, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Rinse and drain the white beans (small white beans, white kidney beans, whatever you desire), and add to the soup. Simmer 30 more minutes.
- Good served with a rustic type of bread.