People beg me to make these sandwiches. It's a great way to use extra tomatoes from your garden. Some grocery stores carry green tomatoes year round. This is my very favorite sandwich ever. The fresh mozzarella cheese can be substituted with regular mozzarella but it won't be a yummy! You can also use Tempeh Bacon for a vegetarian version (not vegan).
- Mix cornmeal, salt and pepper.
- Coat green tomato slices with cornmeal mix. Heat oil in frying pan (or use counter top fryer).
- Fry green tomatoes until lightly browned and slightly soft.
- Coat bread slices with chipotle mayonnaise.
- Stack with bacon, cheese, fried green tomatoes and red tomato.
- Melt butter in frying pan.
- Grill at medium-low temperature until cheese is melted (this makes the sandwich so delicious).
- Eat hot or cold.