Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Packed with different flavors, and even better than a traditional BLT. It's a crowd-pleaser, so it's great for casual dinner with friends. Make sure there's no red on the green tomatoes -- the red parts can dissolve when fried. If you're pressed for time, skip the sliced fresh tomatoes. The recipe is adapted from Bon Appetit.
- 2 cups loosely packed basil
- 1 1⁄4 cups mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 18 slices bacon
- 6 big green tomatoes, sliced into 18 slices
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 egg, beaten
- oil, for shallow frying
- sliced red and yellow tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced arugula
- 12 slices good bread
- For the basil mayonnaise, puree the basil, 1/4 cup of the mayo, lemon juice and mustard in a blend until smnooth. Stir in the rest of the mayo. Refrigerate until needed.
- Fry the bacon and drain.
- Put half the flour on a plate or waxed paper. Combine the other half of the flour, all the cornmeal, and salt and pepper to taste. Arrange the flour, egg and cornmeal mixture in a row on a work surface. Dip each green tomato slice in flour, then egg, then cornmeal mixture, coating thickly. Pat the coating on. Fry in hot oil 2 minutes per side. Drain.
- Make sandwiches by spreading bread with mayonnaise, then stacking green tomato, bacon, sliced tomato alternately. Top with arugula.