Prep 40 mins
Cook 15 mins
- Sprinkle sliced tomatoes with sugar, let stand about 15 minutes.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper and coat tomato slices.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in skillet.
- Brown tomatoes slowly on both sides.
- Remove each batch to oven proof platter and keep in oven until all tomatoes are cooked.
- Add more butter if needed.
- For crisp slices, serve as is.
- Or add 1/2 cup light cream or dairy half and half to skillet. Heat, stirring into drippings, and pour over tomatoes.
I just grew/picked my VERY first tomato ever, and wanted to enjoy it. I decided to try this recipe instead of ones using corn meal. I am so glad I did. It was delicious. I did use Splenda (one packet; one tomato) and I added a little bacon grease to the butter as someone suggested. <br/><br/>Next tomato I pick will meet it's end in the same way. Wonderful recipe.
This was my first attempt at fried green tomatoes. I only made 2 tomatoes and followed the recipe exactly as written. They came out great. I enjoyed the buttery taste. Thanks!
Great, easy, and super delicious recipe. Thank you so much for posting it! ;) When my hubby asked if I'd make some fried green tomatoes w/dinner I was a little nervous because I'd never even tasted them! After following this recipe (and adding about 1T canola oil w/the melted butter for longer frying) he said they were the best he'd ever had. Thanks again!!