Galley Wench's Note:
I remember these as a child. Never did develop a taste for the okra, but sure loved the green tomatoes. This recipe comes from Southern Living magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Whisk together buttermilk and egg.
- 2Combine cornmeal, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and pepper.
- 3Dip okra and tomatoes, in batches into buttermilk mixture; coat in cornmeal mixture.
- 4Into dutch oven pour oil to a depth of 3 inches and heat to 375 degrees.
- 5Fry okra and tomato, in batches, 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. (Turning too soon will cause breading to fall off).
- 6Drain on paper towels; sprinkle with salt.
- 7*red tomatoes can be substituted for green tomatoes if desired.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fried Green Tomatoes & Okra
Serving Size: 1 (163 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 132.4
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 24.4 mg
- Sodium 95.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 5.3 g