Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I remember these as a child. Never did develop a taste for the okra, but sure loved the green tomatoes. This recipe comes from Southern Living magazine.
- Whisk together buttermilk and egg.
- Combine cornmeal, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and pepper.
- Dip okra and tomatoes, in batches into buttermilk mixture; coat in cornmeal mixture.
- Into dutch oven pour oil to a depth of 3 inches and heat to 375 degrees.
- Fry okra and tomato, in batches, 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. (Turning too soon will cause breading to fall off).
- Drain on paper towels; sprinkle with salt.
- *red tomatoes can be substituted for green tomatoes if desired.