1/2 Photos of Fried Green Tomatoes, Tennessee Style
Chef shapeweaver �'s Note:
Since I'm from Tennessee and since I love green tomatoes that's how the recipe got it's name. If you want to change the amounts of the seasonings, go right ahead. When turning over, use a pancake turner so coating won't come off. Submitted to "ZAAR" on August 5th, 2007.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large green tomato, sliced into 6 slices
- 1/2-3/4 cup buttermilk (if no buttermilk, just use same amount of regular milk with 1/2 tablespoon of lemon juice let set fo)
- 1 egg
- 1In a medium bowl, add tomato slices and coat with buttermilk; chill for 20 minutes.
- 2While tomatoes are soaking, mix together coating ingredients in another medium size bowl.
- 3Remove tomatoes from buttermilk--do not throw away buttermilk.
- 4Coat each tomato slice in coating mixture; set aside.
- 5Now in remaining buttermilk mixture add egg; beat well.
- 6Return each coated tomato to buttermilk, making sure each side is well coated.
- 7Return to coating mix one more time coating both sides.
- 8In a medium size skillet over medium high, heat 1/4 cup vegetable oil till hot but not smoking.
- 9Fry on both sides until coating is golden brown.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fried Green Tomatoes, Tennessee Style
Serving Size: 1 (229 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 269.1
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 95.4 mg
- Sodium 516.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 11.1 g