Since I'm from Tennessee and since I love green tomatoes that's how the recipe got it's name. If you want to change the amounts of the seasonings, go right ahead. When turning over, use a pancake turner so coating won't come off. Submitted to "ZAAR" on August 5th, 2007.
- 1 large green tomato, sliced into 6 slices
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup buttermilk (if no buttermilk, just use same amount of regular milk with 1/2 tablespoon of lemon juice let set fo)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- In a medium bowl, add tomato slices and coat with buttermilk; chill for 20 minutes.
- While tomatoes are soaking, mix together coating ingredients in another medium size bowl.
- Remove tomatoes from buttermilk--do not throw away buttermilk.
- Coat each tomato slice in coating mixture; set aside.
- Now in remaining buttermilk mixture add egg; beat well.
- Return each coated tomato to buttermilk, making sure each side is well coated.
- Return to coating mix one more time coating both sides.
- In a medium size skillet over medium high, heat 1/4 cup vegetable oil till hot but not smoking.
- Fry on both sides until coating is golden brown.