1/2 Photos of Fried Green Tomatoes, Tennessee Style
Chef shapeweaver �'s Note:
Since I'm from Tennessee and since I love green tomatoes that's how the recipe got it's name. If you want to change the amounts of the seasonings, go right ahead. When turning over, use a pancake turner so coating won't come off. Submitted to "ZAAR" on August 5th, 2007.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large green tomato, sliced into 6 slices
- 1/2-3/4 cup buttermilk (if no buttermilk, just use same amount of regular milk with 1/2 tablespoon of lemon juice let set fo)
- 1 egg
- 1In a medium bowl, add tomato slices and coat with buttermilk; chill for 20 minutes.
- 2While tomatoes are soaking, mix together coating ingredients in another medium size bowl.
- 3Remove tomatoes from buttermilk--do not throw away buttermilk.
- 4Coat each tomato slice in coating mixture; set aside.
- 5Now in remaining buttermilk mixture add egg; beat well.
- 6Return each coated tomato to buttermilk, making sure each side is well coated.
- 7Return to coating mix one more time coating both sides.
- 8In a medium size skillet over medium high, heat 1/4 cup vegetable oil till hot but not smoking.
- 9Fry on both sides until coating is golden brown.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fried Green Tomatoes, Tennessee Style
Serving Size: 1 (229 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 269.1
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 95.4 mg
- Sodium 516.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 11.1 g