Southern Lady's Note:
I couldn't find the same recipe on Zaar site. Enjoy a little taste of Texas! My recipe calls for a healthier way of frying, but if you prefer the deep fry: 6 cups oil and when tomatoes float to the top, they're done (if they're nicely browned, that's done, too, but they should float) and drain thoroughly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Slice Tomato into 1/2 inch thick slices.
- 2Sprinkle evenly with Salt.
- 3Combine Brown Sugar and Flour and place on a shallow plate.
- 4Dip or rub gently both sides of each Tomato Slice into the flour mixture.
- 5Combine Egg, Hot Sauce, Milk, and Lemon Juice
- 6Dip each tomato slice into Egg mixture.
- 7Then dip each tomato slice into Bread Crumb mixture.
- 8In large skillet melt margarine with oil on medium-high.
- 9Place tomato slices into skillet but NOT touching.
- 10Brown on each side.
- 11Each slice should remain firm and hold their shape.
- 12Repeat the cooking oils if needed for remaining tomato slices.
- 13Serve warm with meal or use fingers and eat them as a snack.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fried Green Tomatoes Texas Style
Serving Size: 1 (116 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 265.9
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 32.5 mg
- Sodium 458.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 7.1 g