Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
It has been cold and snowing here. Just the right weather for soups and comfort food. These green beans and ham hocks are so good. They do not need any added spices or seasoning but you can add them if you desire. There is no need to add salt to these since the ham hocks/shanks are already salty. I am sensitive to pepper so I did not add any to these but you can if you want to. I just don't know how much to add. They can be served as a meal with cornbread or as a side dish with meat This can easily be turned into soup by adding other vegetables. Cook time varies according to your crockpot. When I lower my 3.5 quart crockpot to low, it does not boil or even simmer so I cook these on high the whole time. Stovetop method time is approximate. These smell so good while they cook.
- Snap or cut green beans in one inch pieces.
- Rinse off with cold water and place them in a crockpot or large pan.
- Trim outer skin and fat from the ham hocks/shanks.
- Cut into smaller pieces if possible Cut around the bones but do not remove them.
- Place in the crockpot/pan with the green beans and mix well.
- Pour the beer and broth in and mix well again.
- Crockpot method:Cook on high for 5-6 hours.
- Stovetop method:Cook on high until it boils and then lower heat and simmer for 5-6 hours The longer these cook, the better they taste.
- Serve in bowls.