6 hrs 30 mins
It has been cold and snowing here. Just the right weather for soups and comfort food. These green beans and ham hocks are so good. They do not need any added spices or seasoning but you can add them if you desire. There is no need to add salt to these since the ham hocks/shanks are already salty. I am sensitive to pepper so I did not add any to these but you can if you want to. I just don't know how much to add. They can be served as a meal with cornbread or as a side dish with meat This can easily be turned into soup by adding other vegetables. Cook time varies according to your crockpot. When I lower my 3.5 quart crockpot to low, it does not boil or even simmer so I cook these on high the whole time. Stovetop method time is approximate. These smell so good while they cook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Snap or cut green beans in one inch pieces.
- 2Rinse off with cold water and place them in a crockpot or large pan.
- 3Trim outer skin and fat from the ham hocks/shanks.
- 4Cut into smaller pieces if possible Cut around the bones but do not remove them.
- 5Place in the crockpot/pan with the green beans and mix well.
- 6Pour the beer and broth in and mix well again.
- 7Crockpot method:Cook on high for 5-6 hours.
- 8Stovetop method:Cook on high until it boils and then lower heat and simmer for 5-6 hours The longer these cook, the better they taste.
- 9Serve in bowls.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Beans and Ham Hocks
Serving Size: 1 (1403 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 97.1
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 464.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 5.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
smoked ham hocks