The slaw on its own is flavorful, tangy and surprisingly complex for very few ingredients. The pork chops turn it into a full meal. This is a wonderful dish to prepare for a cookout, since everything can be kept at room temperature for quite a while. The flavors meld very well over time as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 lbs green cabbage heads (3 small)
- 6 green onions, white and green parts
- 5 small tart apples
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 1 1/3 lbs boneless pork loin chops, thin sliced
- 2 lemons, zest and juice
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons dry crushed red pepper
- 1For the slaw.
- 2- Slice the cabbage, onion, and apples thinly (a food processor is great for this), put into a large plastic container with a lid.
- 3- In a small bowl, whisk the peanut oil, apple cider vinegar, mustard seeds, about 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper.
- 4- Pour the dressing over the slaw, put the lid on the container and shake to toss.
- 5For the chops.
- 6- Heat a heavy casserole over medium heat. Add 1 Tbsp peanut oil and the chops.
- 7- Sear the chops quickly, lightly seasoning with the salt and pepper, about 2 minutes a side.
- 8- Lower the heat to very low, add the crushed red chili peppers, the lemon zest and juice, and braise for 30 minutes or until tender.
- 9For serving, you could keep the chops intact or slice them thinly and toss with the slaw. Discard the braising liquid.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Cabbage and Red Apple Slaw With Lemon-Braised Pork Chops
Serving Size: 1 (365 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 289.9
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 49.3 mg
- Sodium 172.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 14.6 g
- Protein 18.5 g