1/2 Photos of Gumbo With Shrimp, Crab & Andouille Sausage With Okra
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
You can adjust the spice to how hot you like the heat. This is a thick Creole-style stew. You can add browned chicken as well.You can half the recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 lb okra, trimmed and sliced
- 1 gallon shrimp stock or 1 gallon chicken stock or 1 bottle clam juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (optional)
- fresh ground black pepper
- cayenne pepper
- 1 lb andouille sausage, sliced about 1/4 inch thick on the bias,browned,fat removed
- 3 lbs medium shrimp, peeled and deveined seasoned with
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning or 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 lbs fresh lump crabmeat, picked over
- 6 cups cooked long-grain white rice
- 1Heat the oil in a large heavy pot and add the flour.
- 2Cook the roux, stirring constantly.
- 3Just as the roux reaches light brown color, add the vegetables and stir.
- 4When the vegetables are tender, add the stock, spices, cooked andouille sausage, salt, and peppers.
- 5Stir until the roux is dissolved, and simmer over low heat for one hour.
- 6Add the shrimp about 5 minutes before serving, then add the crabmeat by the handful, then cook over low heat just until the shrimp turn pink and the crabmeat is warmed through.
- 7remove bay leaves.
- 8Serve in large soup or gumbo bowls over about 1/2 cup of cooked rice per serving.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gumbo With Shrimp, Crab & Andouille Sausage With Okra
Serving Size: 1 (513 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 690.1
- Calories from Fat 119
- Total Fat 13.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 223.7 mg
- Sodium 1428.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 93.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 46.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: