Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Notice that this recipe doesn't call for ANY spices...not even salt and pepper. Yet I have nothing but great memories for mom's ham hocks and beans. Other recipes include garlic, oregano, bay leaf and pepper. Give it a try with or without embellishments.
- Rinse the beans, soak in water overnight.
- Put the beans and the water into a large pan.
- Add the ham hocks and chopped onions.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook all day, up to 8 hours.
- More water can be added if needed or desired, depending on how thick you like your soup.