Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a healthy AND flavorful soup I love to make every winter. Hot, buttered cornbread make this a delicious meal enjoyed by my entire family (including my two year old!). This recipe courtesy of Wal-Mart.
- 1 (14 ounce) package smoked turkey sausage, cut in 1/4 inch slices
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 (32 ounce) containers chicken broth
- 8 ounces fresh collard greens, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 dash hot sauce
- 1. Saute turkey sausage, onion, and green pepper in hot oil in dutch oven over medium-high heat 5 minute or until lightly browned.
- 2. Add chicken broth, collard greens, black-eyed peas, pepper, and hot sauce; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
This wasn't quite what I was looking for but it sure was good. I used regular sausage and I think that made it a little greasy but otherwise it was great and I'm not even that big a fan of greens!
Delicious and quick even with all the substitutions I had to make. I also have a 3 year old and a 1 1/2 year old - both finicky eaters. Both loved it as well as my husband. I did not have the green pepper or collard green (haha) so I substituted fresh spinach. It came out a little too wilted (duh). Anyway, the kids ate it and my husband wants more =) Thanks!
Excellent soup, loved by all! (I did add an extra dash of the hot sauce.)