My husband's favorite. We eat this with just about everything, in place of mashed potatoes.
Make and share this Jalapeno Cheese Grits recipe from Food.com.
- Bring water and salt to rapid boil.
- Add grits, reduce heat, and cook until grits are thickened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in butter and Velveeta cheese until melted.
- Mix eggs, milk, and black pepper together, and then add to the grits mixture.
- Stir in the chopped jalapenos.
- Pour into casserole dish.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes or until set in a 300 degree oven.
- Sprinkle Jack cheese on top, and return to the oven for 15 more minutes.
Your husband is right, these are MUCH better than mashed potatoes. We had them with dinner, but I think they'd be great with breakfast, too. They are easy to make and even my wife and son, who aren't real big fans of grits, raved about this dish. It will definately be something we have again and again.
Delicious, but too spicy for the rest of my family. Next time I'd cut the jalapenos to 1/4 cup. Served with ham but would be perfect with steak, brisket, breakfast....I really like grits:) Thanks for sharing the recipe! Update: made a second batch without jalapenos and it was also good. The best part, I get all of the jalapeno version to myself! Thanks again!
This was the first time I had grits (and I lived on the Gulf Coast of Mississippi for two years)! They were fabulous. I love the consistency of the undercooked casserole and the flavor of the correctly cooked casserole. My husband arrived for dinner early so we had a casserole that was set on the outside and not on the inside. Either way, it was delicious. Can't wait to eat leftovers at lunch today!