1/2 Photos of Lentil and Pea Soup (Ham Hocks)
3 hrs 30 mins
Try this hearty soup for supper with chunks of rye bread to dunk. All you'll need to finish a comfort food supper is some apples and cheese for dessert.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped Spanish onions
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 12 cups water
- 1 cup dried brown lentils
- 1 cup dried split peas
- 4 smoked ham hocks (about 3 3/4 lbs)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots
- 1 1/4 cups chopped celery
- lemon slice
- 1In a heavy (cast iron is best) dutch oven heat oil over medium heat.
- 2Add onion and garlic and cook about 5 minutes, stirring until soft.
- 3Add remaining ingredients except carrots,celery and lemon slices.
- 4Bring to boil.
- 5Reduce heat to low, cover pot.
- 6Simmer 1 1/4 hours.
- 7Add carrots and celery.
- 8Bring back to boil then reduce heat and simmer 40 minutes, uncovered.
- 9Remove pot from heat.
- 10Lift out hocks and bay leaf, discard bay leaves.
- 11Cool hocks enough to handle, remove fat and bones.
- 12Put meat back in soup. Stir and heat gently.
- 13Float a lemon slice on top of each serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil and Pea Soup (Ham Hocks)
Serving Size: 1 (321 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 139.7
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 612.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.0 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 8.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
smoked ham hocks