1 hr 30 mins
Julie in TX's Note:
The perfect Gumbo. I adopted this recipe in September, 2006. It is the best gumbo recipe I have ever tried.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 1/2 cups chopped green bell peppers
- 1 lb okra, either fresh or frozen and cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 lbs hot smoked sausage, such as andouille or kielbasa, cut crosswise into 1/2 inch slices
- 3/4 lb smoked ham, cut into small cubes or 3/4 lb ham, nugget cut into small cubes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 quarts chicken stock or 3 quarts chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked chicken meat
- 1 tablespoon Pickapeppa Sauce
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 2 bunches chopped green onions
- hot sauce, to taste (optional)
- 4 cups cooked long-grain rice, accompaniment
- 1In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat and stir in the flour, sprinkling a little at a time and whisking inches Whisk slowly and constantly for 20 to 25 minutes to make a dark brown roux, the color of chocolate.
- 2If you get black specks in your roux it is burned and you will have to start over.
- 3Add the onions, celery, okra and bell peppers and continue to stir for 4 to 5 minutes, or until wilted.
- 4The mixture will be pasty and fairly dry.
- 5Add the sausage, ham, salt, cayenne, pepper, and bay leaves and stir well.
- 6Cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes.
- 7Add the stock or broth and stir well to combine with the roux mixture.
- 8Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low.
- 9Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
- 10Add the chicken and cook just until the chicken is heated through, about 5 minutes.
- 11Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley, Pickapeppa Sauce and green onions.
- 12Ladle into deep soup bowls over rice.
- 13Serve with hot sauce, if desired.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mean Chef Chicken, Andouille, Ham and Okra Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (731 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 920.6
- Calories from Fat 447
- Total Fat 49.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 53.4 mg
- Sodium 2291.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 85.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 13.8 g
- Protein 34.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
hot smoked sausage