Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
The butter and sugar mixture caramelizes over the bread strips to make a crispy top. No one ever guesses that this is made with plain old bread!
- 6 fresh peaches, peeled, stoned, and sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar (use less if peaches are sweet)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 5 slices white bread, with crusts removed
- Place the fruit in a buttered 8 X 8 inch baking dish.
- Cut each slice of bread into five stripe. Place the strips onto the fruit.
- In a separate bowl, mix the sugar, flour, egg, and melted butter. Pour this mixture evenly over the bread and fruit.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown.
This is a great recipe when you need a quick dessert with items on hand. I had peaches I needed to use up and wanted a quick easy dessert for us. This fit the bill. I used only 1 cup of sugar and it was plenty sweet and really yummy right out of the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Thanks for a quick, easy, tasty dessert!