A Great Vegetable without all the frying! A recipe for when the summer garden is plentiful! A side dish which goes well with any meal. We enjoyed fried okra when growing up,
- Wash okra and drain. Remove tips and stem ends. Cut okra crosswise into 1/2 inch slices.
- Combine egg and buttermilk. Add okra, stirring to coat well. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt in a zip-top plastic bag.
- Drain okra. With small portions at a time, using a slotted spoon, place okra in bag with cornmeal mixture, shaking gently to coat.
- Brush oil on a 15x10x1 inch jellyroll pan; add okra in a single layer.
- Coat okra with cooking spray and bake in a 450 degree oven for 8 minutes. Stir well and spray with cooking spray again; baking 8 additional minutes. After last baking, broil 4 inches from heat (with electric oven door partially opened) 5 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally.