3 hrs 20 mins
A lovely, heartwarming soup sure to please. This recipe is a good candidate for the slow-cooker if you don't want to simmer on top of the stove. From the New England chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs oxtails, split into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 pints beef stock
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into thin slices
- 1 stalk celery, cut into thin slices
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato (canned is fine)
- 1 cup red wine (cabernet or merlot)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 peppercorns
- salt, to taste
- 1Melt butter, add pieces of tail in a large stockpot.
- 2When the meat begins to brown, add onion.
- 3When onion is a deep gold, add stock, carrot, celery, tomatoes, wine and herbs tied securely in a cheesecloth bag.
- 4Season with remaining ingredients and simmer until meat is very tender, about 3 hours.
- 5Remove herbs.
- 6Separate meat of the oxtail from the bones; discard bones.
- 7Reheat soup and serve with a little of the meat in each bowl.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oxtail Soup
Serving Size: 1 (341 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 87.6
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 5.0 mg
- Sodium 953.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 3.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: