1/4 Photos of Perfect Southern Greens (Kale, Beet, Collard Greens, Mustard)
4 hrs 10 mins
This recipe yields the best tasting greens I have ever eaten! I have yet to have a batch of bitter greens when cooked this way. This recipe has the potential to change the minds of green-haters and may even bring about a cute southern accent. Blanching the greens before adding to the slow cooker helps remove the natural bitterness. I usually make it with kale and beet greens but other greens work as well. The greens pair well with pilsner or an off-dry riesling, especially if you use the balsamic vinegar.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 bunch beet leaves (collards, mustard, turnip) or 1 bunch other greens (collards, mustard, turnip)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, minced (discard seeds for less heat)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup cubed ham (I used prepackage mini cubes)
- 3 slices bacon
- 2 1/2 cups water (more if needed)
- salt and pepper
- balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 1Tear greens into large pieces and discard the thick vein. Add greens to a pot of boiling salted water (I use kosher salt). Let boil for about 6 minutes. Drain and Rinse.
- 2While the greens are boiling, preheat a heavy skillet with olive oil, add onion and garlic; sauté until onions are lightly brown, add minced jalapeno peppers and cook for an additional minute or two.
- 3Put the sautéed onions in the slow-cooker then add the drained greens, ham, bacon, crushed red pepper and water.
- 4Cook on high for 4 hours or until greens are tender.
- 5Serve with balsamic vinegar, optional.
Browse Our Top Collard Greens Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Collard Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Perfect Southern Greens (Kale, Beet, Collard Greens, Mustard)
Serving Size: 1 (262 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 114.8
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 8.6 mg
- Sodium 210.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 4.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: