Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Okra is the green vegetable that gives gumbo it's rich flavor. This recipe for pickled okra is uncomplicated and produces a tasty accompaniment for meats and poultry. If you live over 1000 feet in elevation, add five minutes of processing time. From an old newspaper clipping.
- Combine first six ingredients together in a large saucepan; bring to the boil and simmer for ten minutes.
- Cut stem ends off okra and place in sterilized 12 ounce jars.
- Add a garlic clove to each jar.
- Pour hot pickling solution over okra, leaving 1/2-inch head space (add additional vinegar if necessary).
- Adjust lids and process for ten minutes in a boiling water bath.
I tried the pickled okra, I did not have enough liquid to cover the okra and also should the seeds be tied up in a cheese cloth.