Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Okra is the green vegetable that gives gumbo it's rich flavor. This recipe for pickled okra is uncomplicated and produces a tasty accompaniment for meats and poultry. If you live over 1000 feet in elevation, add five minutes of processing time. From an old newspaper clipping.
- Combine first six ingredients together in a large saucepan; bring to the boil and simmer for ten minutes.
- Cut stem ends off okra and place in sterilized 12 ounce jars.
- Add a garlic clove to each jar.
- Pour hot pickling solution over okra, leaving 1/2-inch head space (add additional vinegar if necessary).
- Adjust lids and process for ten minutes in a boiling water bath.
I tried the pickled okra, I did not have enough liquid to cover the okra and also should the seeds be tied up in a cheese cloth.