1/1 Photo of Sherby's Cornmeal Fried Okra
This is my daddy's recipe, if you want to call it that. It's the way that he cooks our fresh okra when we ask him to fry it. I like it much better than flour dipped okra as you seem to get more taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix your cornmeal and salt well in a gallon sized Ziploc bag.
- 2Add okra, about 1 1/2 cups at a time.
- 3Close bag and shake to cover okra completely with cornmeal mixture.
- 4Fry in a cast iron skillet in vegetable or corn oil (I like corn oil best) until okra floats and turns a light brown.
- 5Watch this carefully as once it begins to brown, it does so very quickly.
- 6Repeat process until all okra is fried.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sherby's Cornmeal Fried Okra
Serving Size: 1 (87 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 170.7
- Calories from Fat 13
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 20.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 4.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: