kit in NO's Note:
This is a simple, low calorie, nutrient packed, flavorful recipe for okra. It's my husband's favorite.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil or 2 -3 tablespoons butter or 2 -3 tablespoons margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 cups diced onions (1/4 - 1/2 inch)
- 2 bay leaves, broken in half
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 (18 1/8-21 3/4 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 2 (1 lb) bags of sliced frozen okra
- 1 1/2 lbs of peeled and deveined shrimp, use gulf shrimp for the best flavor
- salt and pepper
- cooked rice
- 1Heat oil over medium heat in a deep, heavy pot until very hot.
- 2Add onion and sautee until translucent.
- 3Add thyme leaves, bay leaves, and garlic and stir frequently so as not to scorch the garlic about 1 minute.
- 4Add tomatoes and water, and heat until the edges begin to boil.
- 5Add the frozen okra and stir.
- 6Cover the pot.
- 7Heat about 5 minutes and check, stirring to prevent sticking and to heat through.
- 8Okra will be"done" when it turns bright green in color.
- 9Taste for salt and pepper and correct at this point.
- 10When the okra is bright green, add the shrimp, stirring to combine.
- 11Cover again and heat about 5 minutes.
- 12Uncover, and stir again checking for"doneness".
- 13The dish will be"done" when shrimp is opaque and firm.
- 14Serve over hot rice.
- 15Please note that the water measurement is approximate you may need to add a little more to get a thinner consistency.
- 16Also, I watch my salt intake so I seldom add it to my recipes, so feel free to add it.
- 17This dish tastes great with a dash or two of hot pepper sauce.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp and Okra
Serving Size: 1 (312 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 160.4
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 107.1 mg
- Sodium 493.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 14.9 g