Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a simple, low calorie, nutrient packed, flavorful recipe for okra. It's my husband's favorite.
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil or 2 -3 tablespoons butter or 2 -3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced onions (1/4 - 1/2 inch)
- 2 bay leaves, broken in half
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 (18 1/8-21 3/4 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 2 (1 lb) bagsof sliced frozen okra
- 1 1⁄2 lbs of peeled and deveined shrimp, use gulf shrimp for the best flavor
- salt and pepper
- cooked rice
- Heat oil over medium heat in a deep, heavy pot until very hot.
- Add onion and sautee until translucent.
- Add thyme leaves, bay leaves, and garlic and stir frequently so as not to scorch the garlic about 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and water, and heat until the edges begin to boil.
- Add the frozen okra and stir.
- Cover the pot.
- Heat about 5 minutes and check, stirring to prevent sticking and to heat through.
- Okra will be"done" when it turns bright green in color.
- Taste for salt and pepper and correct at this point.
- When the okra is bright green, add the shrimp, stirring to combine.
- Cover again and heat about 5 minutes.
- Uncover, and stir again checking for"doneness".
- The dish will be"done" when shrimp is opaque and firm.
- Serve over hot rice.
- Please note that the water measurement is approximate you may need to add a little more to get a thinner consistency.
- Also, I watch my salt intake so I seldom add it to my recipes, so feel free to add it.
- This dish tastes great with a dash or two of hot pepper sauce.
This is such a great dish. I tripled the garlic, but followed the recipe exactly otherwise (well, I did add more water than what the recipe called for). Not only is this extremely easy to make, but it's also very delicious. Not bad for my first okra dish! Thanks for sharing.
This extremely low calorie dish was very easy to make. A great recipe for those watching their wastelines. Adding one or two table spoons of tomatoe paste and a bit a cream add a little zing.