Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a simple, low calorie, nutrient packed, flavorful recipe for okra. It's my husband's favorite.
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil or 2 -3 tablespoons butter or 2 -3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced onions (1/4 - 1/2 inch)
- 2 bay leaves, broken in half
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 (18 1/8-21 3/4 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 2 (1 lb) bagsof sliced frozen okra
- 1 1⁄2 lbs of peeled and deveined shrimp, use gulf shrimp for the best flavor
- salt and pepper
- cooked rice
- Heat oil over medium heat in a deep, heavy pot until very hot.
- Add onion and sautee until translucent.
- Add thyme leaves, bay leaves, and garlic and stir frequently so as not to scorch the garlic about 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and water, and heat until the edges begin to boil.
- Add the frozen okra and stir.
- Cover the pot.
- Heat about 5 minutes and check, stirring to prevent sticking and to heat through.
- Okra will be"done" when it turns bright green in color.
- Taste for salt and pepper and correct at this point.
- When the okra is bright green, add the shrimp, stirring to combine.
- Cover again and heat about 5 minutes.
- Uncover, and stir again checking for"doneness".
- The dish will be"done" when shrimp is opaque and firm.
- Serve over hot rice.
- Please note that the water measurement is approximate you may need to add a little more to get a thinner consistency.
- Also, I watch my salt intake so I seldom add it to my recipes, so feel free to add it.
- This dish tastes great with a dash or two of hot pepper sauce.