Cook1 hr 20 mins
This is so good! Fast and yummy yet it tastes like you spent hours over the stove cooking and and stirring. This uses my make ahead gumbo mix Okra Freezer Gumbo Starter which takes the long cooking time of gumbo down to a weeknight managable amount. Enjoy!
- Place all together in a large pot EXCEPT for rice and shrimp.
- Bring to boil then reduce and simmer for 1 hr 10 min stirring often. Add a little water if it gets too thick.
- Taste and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Add shrimp and cook 10 minutes.
- Discard bay leaves serve over rice.
This is a nice healthy dish that I couldn`t keep that way. I just couldn`t have gumbo without the roux! I cooked 1/2 cup flour and 1/4 cup oil till nicely browned. Added it to 1/5 of the Okra Freezer Gumbo Starter I upped the heat added 1 teaspoon ground thyme and 1 tablespoon dried parsley. I added 1 pound crab meat and 1 pound flounder when I added the shrimp. Hope thois really hit the spot for our cold weather day! Thanks for Great EATS!