1 hr 20 mins
Leslie in Texas's Note:
This is a favorite of ours,great with some crusty French bread and butter.Serve over freshly cooked rice if desired. From a March 1984 issue of Bon Appetit that featured Paul Prudhomme and the recipes of K-Paul's restaurant in New Orleans. Pass the Tabasco, please!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 1/4 teaspoons white pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups okra, sliced into 1/4-inch wide slices
- 3/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 1/2 cups seafood stock
- 1/2 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1Combine first 8 ingredients in small bowl for seasoning mixture.
- 2Heat 4 Tablespoons oil in 4-quart saucepan over high heat 1 minute.
- 3Add 2 cups okra and saute until brown, about 6 minutes.
- 4Stir onion, green pepper and celery into okra and cook 1 minute.
- 5Add butter and cook 1 minute.
- 6Mix in garlic and saute 1 minute.
- 7Stir in seasoning mixture and continue cooking over high heat 3 minutes to blend flavors, scraping bottom of pan frequently.
- 8Add flour and remaining 2 tablespoons oil.
- 9Continue cooking until flour is brown,scraping bottom of pan frequently, about 2 minutes.
- 10Mix in 1 1/2 cups stock, scraping up any brown bits from bottom of pan.
- 11Stir in remaining stock; boil 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 12Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 13Stir in remaining 1 cup okra and continue simmering for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 14(Can be prepared up to 2 days ahead at this point. Cover and refrigerate.Slowly bring to a simmer before proceeding.).
- 15Add green onion to soup and simmer 3 minutes.
- 16Stir in shrimp and simmer until shrimp just turn pink, about 1 minute.
- 17Salt to taste and serve.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp and Okra Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (146 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 214.8
- Calories from Fat 150
- Total Fat 16.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 68.9 mg
- Sodium 834.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 7.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: