1 hr 20 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs okra
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped peeled and seeded fresh tomatoes or 2 cups chopped canned tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 5 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 quarts shrimp stock or 2 quarts water
- 2 lbs medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- chopped parsley (to garnish)
- thinly sliced green onion top (to garnish)
- 1Wash the okra in cool water.
- 2Remove the caps and tips and cut into 1/4-inch rounds.
- 3Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- 4Fry the okra, stirring constantly, for 10 to 12 minutes, or until most of the slime disappears.
- 5Add the tomatoes, onions, and celery and cook, stirring often, for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the okra and other vegetables are soft and the slime has completely disappeared.
- 6Add the salt, cayenne, bay leaves, thyme and water.
- 7Stir and bring to a boil.
- 8Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- 9Add the shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- 10Remove the bay leaves and serve in deep bowls.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp, Okra and Tomato Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (424 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 259.9
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 190.9 mg
- Sodium 1565.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 24.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: