1 hr 35 mins
Cajun Joe's Note:
A fast, quick, and easy way to make that delicious Cajun New Orleans style gumbo. This can be made with or without sausage or okra, or just seafood, or a mixture of any kind of seafood you have except fish. The main reason that this gumbo is so good is that it's so easy, and it can stand up to the best tasting gumbo there is. My huge Cajun family here in New Orleans doesn't make gumbo from scratch anymore since Zartarians and Smokehouse arrived on the scene. The Zatarain, or the Smokehouse have no appreciable difference in taste, but Smokehouse is much cheaper to buy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 box Zatarians gumbo base mix or 1 package Oak Grove smoke house gumbo base mix (absolutely DON'T USE gumbo mix with rice included)
- 1 lb chicken (or as much as you can fit into the pot after you mix the base)
- 1 lb smoked sausage (or as much as you can fit into the pot after you mix the base)
- 1 (10 ounce) box sliced frozen okra, defrosted
Boiled long grain regular white rice recipe
- 2Follow recipe on gumbo base container to mix base.
- 3Using water is good, but some chicken broth is better.
- 4Bring base to a low boil.
- 5This is the critical step= stir well because the base wants to stick to the bottom of the pot, while it is being fully dissolved.
- 6Add meat, and bring to a low boil again, lower fire and simmer for thirty minutes, stirring occasionally while scraping bottom of pot.
- 7stir in okra, and bring back to a low boil for 2-3 minutes, just enough to heat the okra, then serve with cooked long grain white rice.
- 8-----------Boiled long grain regular white rice recipe----------.
- 9Add salt to water and bring water to boil.
- 10Add rice and stir well.
- 11The moment you add the rice to the water, start timing for 13 minutes.
- 12stir occasionally during cooking process, while scraping bottom of pot.
- 13After 13 minutes, stir well, then drain rice using calendar, then run some hot faucet water over the rice in the calendar.
- 14Serve gumbo with rice added.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smarty pants = chicken, sausage, okra gumbo & rice
Serving Size: 1 (536 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 475.9
- Calories from Fat 224
- Total Fat 24.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 77.2 mg
- Sodium 963.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 21.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Zatarians gumbo base mix