2 hrs 15 mins
Chef #1149837's Note:
Got this recipe from an Amish neighbor years ago, but she doesn't remember where she got it. I have had this at the Hoss's steakhouse chain as an appetizer or with a big salad.This is more about the broth than the ham or cabbage. Be careful of the salt as some ham hocks can be very salty, but on the plus side they are available at any grocery store.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 smoked ham hocks
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 small celery ribs, 1 chopped. 1 left whole
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 cups green cabbage, chopped approx. 1 inch pieces
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans beef consomme
- 3 (14 ounce) cans water
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- salt and black pepper
- 1Remove skin from smoked ham hocks.
- 2In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute carrots, onions, chopped celery, oregano. thyme, bay leaf, and ham hocks until carrots are tender-about 10 minutes.
- 3Add the cabbage, garlic, and black pepper, and saute 5 minutes longer or until cabbage is tender.
- 4Add all the liquid and the whole stalk of celery and bring to a boil over high heat.
- 5Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 1 1/2 hours.
- 6Remove ham hocks and set aside to cool. Discard stalk of celery and bay leaf.
- 7Skim some or all fat.
- 8Remove meat from cooled ham hocks and add back into the soup.
- 9Add brown sugar. Salt very carefully. Allow to heat fully and serve.
- 10If you want it a little sweeter, add a little more brown sugar.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smoked Ham Hock and Cabbage Soup
Serving Size: 1 (704 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 152.6
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1880.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 11.1 g
- Protein 8.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
smoked ham hocks